Tuesday, May 15, 2012

And so it begins...

I love this time of year when it's winding down into summer. While everyone else is finishing up school, planning their summer vacations, or picking out their new bikinis for beach day, I am eagerly looking forward to scoping out the earliest buzz of next year's TV season. I'm mourning the loss of those show's that went to soon (I'll always remember you Chuck!), breathing a sigh of relief for those that I thought were gone but instead got a reprieve (looking forward to Community's six seasons and a movie), and eagerly devouring all the previews and tidbits about the new pilots. I know, you're jealous of my life and devotion to television. It's cool.

Summer is the time for me to catch up on all the shows that started last season that I never managed t start watching (I'm looking at you Once Upon a Time) so I can be caught up for season two. It's the time for me to scour through all the information about the new pilots and make my lists of what to keep my eye on. Sure, some of those new shows will be canceled within three episodes while others will drag on for years even though I'd rather gouge my eyes out than watch another 5 minutes. Some I'll be so excited about during the summer, but by the time it airs I couldn't care less. But all this is just part of my love of the summer season.

In case it's not already obvious, I'm kind of a tv freak. I love television. Watching it, talking about it, over analyzing it (especially Glee), researching it. Yes, I did in fact write my senior seminar paper for my UW history degree on the part television played in the sexual revolution of the 60s. Ended up watching A LOT of Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, and Petticoat Junction. Good times. I like the history of television, how it began as a means of bringing the country together but has sense become one more way to fracture us all. Most people like to veg out on the couch and consume tv as nothing more than entertainment (which is a perfectly acceptable reason for watching), but I see each episode as a work of literature, as a historical document. I love and appreciate television so much more than most people I know. So I've decided to blog about it. Because I'm pretty much crazy and if you want to find other crazies, especially tv crazies, the interwebs is the place to turn. So come and find me my cray-cray friends and we'll love tv too much together.

Until then, I'm going to go watch two hours of Glee and then over-think on how it's defining America. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment